Monday, September 5, 2011

Salman Khan – A foolproof recipe for success, sans logic!

In the reverberating times of Anna, Messi and KBC fame Mr. Bachchan, if there is one man who can still find a place in this highly competitive canvas then it’s none other than Salman Phenomenal Khan. And riding high on the success of 3 of the biggest bollywood blockbusters of all times Wanted, DABANG and Ready the phenomenal Khan has every reason to have a claim on every inch of that coveted canvas. No wonder whatever the mercurial star is touching these days is turning into GOLD.

Though I am not a big fan of Salman the actor but off late I have turned into a big fan of Salman the entertainer. The star might not be the best actor that has donned the 70mm screen, he might not be the swiftest of dancers to have glued the masses and he might not even be the best of stunt men to have awed the millions but he certainly has his own ways that make him click with the masses. Most importantly the guy has a CONNECT with the audiences that makes him a seriously successful phenomena. And it is this ‘connect’ that drew me to the nearby multiplex on the first day of his latest release BODYGUARD and what followed was a visit to a neighboring chemist to buy half a dozen analgesics.

Interestingly, what bamboozled me was not the quality of the movie but the reaction of the masses watching the movie alongside me. For the entire two and half hours when I was trying to find logic and reasons to join the bandwagon, the major chunk in the hall was whistling, clapping and screaming in joy and literally getting berserk to say the least. Also, it wasn’t that I went to the hall with a mindset to find follies in the flick, that being the case I wouldn’t have shown the urge to watch the movie on first day morning. In fact I also wanted to be a part of the whistling and screaming lot but somehow I couldn’t find a frame in which I could have done so.

And this experience made me utterly worried about myself to the extent that for a while I even started doubting my psyche thinking what is wrong with me that I am not able to enjoy and cherish a movie that has in a matter of just 4 days become the biggest grosser and blockbuster of bollywood, glued the masses like never before and has become a talking point in every forum. For me the movie had no storyline, no great music, no out of the world comic acts and was just a loosely scripted and badly narrated piece of work riding solely on the popularity of a superstar. And if we talk in the rating terms the movie couldn’t have garnered a rating of more than 1 out of 5 by any means but still the most celebrated critics of our country couldn’t muster the courage to rate it below 3.5, 3 or 2.5. Probably because the biggest grosser tag and the Salman flag is far too heavy to gauge a movie on solely qualitative terms.

Nothing against Salman Superstar Khan though, he is and has always been a heartthrob among masses and definitely for right reasons. In fact full credit to him for being so fit and good looking even at this age, to an extent that he has left the likes of SRK,Hrithik and Aamir far behind in the race for supremacy. But if we go by the parameters of logic and excellence I still fail to understand how movies like BODYGUARD and READY work to such successful extent. Probably, in fact most definitely the masses know it better and it’s futile to ponder so much about the logic in these no brainer times of Dhinkachika and Desi Beats!

Viewpoint -> I would still vouch for movies like ‘Zindagi na milegi dobara’ to attain the cult status that these otherwise brainless movies are getting.


--
kin...

No comments:

Post a Comment