Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Temptation Thrills but often Kills!

The Oxford Dictionary defines the word 'Temptation' as 'the desire to have or do something that you should avoid' but I believe and define 'Temptation' as the most tempting thing in life. It seems a weird statement but it holds very true in the real life. I have succumbed to it umpteen number of times, rather it is so god damn hard to resist that I succumb to it every single day somehow or the other. In-fact I believe every individual who wants to live his life even to the slightest bit succumbs to this addictive element and repents to some extent or the other. But who the heck cares for those punishing repayments or even gives them a distant thought, its all about enjoying those sumptuous temptations with a belief that what ever be the aftermaths, I will some how and any how manage it dude, so why to let these finger licking alluring opportunities pass by;).And thence starts a fun filled roller coaster ride in this materialistic world full of illusionary temptations.

That temptation of using the credit card to avail the end of season sale against a strong promise to oneself about not using the credit card by any means to curb on the splurging and consolidate my savings every month. But the greedy mind overpowers such ambitious thoughts with justifications like what difference will it make if I spend just 10% of my salary on my luxuries? Am I not worth even such elementary things? Am I working so damn hard just to deposit all my money in the bank? Will I carry all the amount I am saving by living so miserably to heaven, once I die? Obviously NOT, so let me use it one last time. The satisfaction of these preposterous shopping is immense, but it lasts only till the time the credit card bill arrives, because there after you spend the entire time scratching your head trying to figure out the ways through which you can manage the sum to be paid back. Wish I would have never enrolled for a credit card and had some brains to act sensiblyL.

That temptation to wipe off that heavy chocolate bar at midnight just moments before sleeping, inspite of a stern warning from the dentist and mom about the high risk of tooth decay, which are already in a bad state and surviving by means of root canals and cosmetic fillings. But all these preachings are overcome by an inner voice which says ‘ o come on boy, eating it just once can not result in a bacterial attack all of a sudden and thereby eventually decaying my all so innocent teeth’. And the mind succumbs to this temptation and the far fetched consequences are very much on the lines of those preachings which seemed so irritating and hilariously foolish earlier. Wish I would have let go that monstrous chocolate bar and adhered to those golden preachingsL.

That temptation to sleep for just 10 minutes, hours before a scaring college exam, and the argument behind this short nap being that ‘it will refresh me to new levels and I would be able to concentrate better and anyways what difference a 10 minute nap will make when I am smart enough to make up for this time’. But what eventually happens is that you wake up just minutes before the start of the exam and you are on the mercy of either your neighbor or entirely on your luck, praying that only those stuff comes in the exam paper that I have read. But the outcome invariably happens to be other way round, and either the entire exam paper seems to be an out of course stuff or you are caught red handed trying to cheat from your neighbor. Wish I wouldn’t have slept last night and crammed something usefulL.

That temptation to adore, glance and literally scan an X-Ray of every passing irresistible girl, while you are on a date with your girl friend. At such times the harder one tries not to get distracted, the more these beautiful bombs hover around you. And every single time your girl friend catches you red handed, stealing a glance of those beautiful innocent angels. As an aftermath you have to do the damage control by gifting the hitler in your life with the most expensive gifts and lying at length about their goodness and beauty. Wish I could have resisted myself for those few momentsL.

That temptation to eat few spoonfuls of rice at dinner when you are already fighting to reduce that apparently visible tummy. But the rationale which one puts behind this is that 4 or 5 spoonfuls of rice won’t inflate my tummy even by a millimeter and hence why to let this delicious curry get wasted when these few grains of rice can solve the dual purpose of finishing both the curry and the rice at the same time, and anyways one should not waste food in these times of high inflation. But what eventually happens is, in an attempt to not waste that rice for the sake of mankind, one puts on double MRF tyres around his waist as an apparent symbol of obesity. Wish I could have just thought of myself and not about the entire mankind before feeding myself with those oodles of riceL.

That temptation to join a 5 star gym after seeing a Salman Khan movie, which tempts you to flaunt a physique much like the superstar himself. Forcing you to splurge quite a lot of money on enrolment in the gym, buying an expensive track suit and a branded sports shoe costing not less than 3000 bucks. But one month down the line the enthusiasm and the desire to flaunt a Salman Khan physique dies down and you find yourself either sleeping around or feeding yourself with high calorie stuff at your gym hours, the expensive track suits becomes an item of your storage closet and the 3000 bucks sports shoe makes you feel guilty every Friday when you put them on for the casual dressing day in office. Wish I shouldn’t have watched that movie or I should have applied my brains before getting carried away and making fool of myselfL.

That temptation to procrastinate some vital work in office and push it off for tomorrow in lieu of going home early to watch those awe inspiring IPL matches has back fired hundred out of hundred times. Such fanciful thoughts are either butchered by the just in time email from the onsite manager delegating an urgent task minutes before my pack up time or they are eclipsed by those over stretched status calls from the business clients sitting in US. I wonder why the most critical issues crop up on the days of most critical cricket match of the season. Probably the business clients purposefully disrupt the processes on these days so that they can watch these matches at ease at our expense. Wish I could have studied and worked a little harder to be in the shoes of those autocratic managers L.

On one hand our life seems so deliciously attractive amidst such alluring temptations but on the other hand the very moment you fell into these traps, the misery begins. But I still believe the fun lies in prudently falling in these traps and enjoying these temptations to the fullest even if these moments of joy are short lived because when the saints of the stature of Swami Nityanand can't resist the temptations of life, we are even more mortals to resist them, but we should never succumb to these temptations at the expense our moralitiesJ!


--

kin...


8 comments:

  1. Must have been a really big temptation that you succumbed to, that inspired you to write this post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Succumbing to temptation makes us human.
    person who entirely overcome his/her temptation is either Robot or God

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can resist anything except tempation :-) Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally you agree that, though you succumb to a lot of things I tell u not to do(u may call them TEMPTATION) u regret that later on !!!!

    But I must say that, living with succumbing to them is the only way of living life to the fullest…what would be life without these little misadventures otherwise!!

    Its only these small moments that really frame and make a beautiful picture in our life..
    its only these moments that we remember rather the our big achievements..
    and its only these few moments that bring that million dollar smile to our faces…

    Good piece of writing again Kinshuk…and u seem to be improving as the days go by..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article:)

    We can include "Temptations" of the drivers on the road who drive to "save" (offcourse by stealing time from others) time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written dude..I can overcome all above temptations..but 'Empty NH' temptates me. My speedometer touches 140KMs/Hr

    Your write-up isan eye-opening, thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Womens day, Mayawathi and this one. Enjoyed reading all of them. When is the next post!!!! &nbs p; Dont you have anything to say about Hyderabad's traffic sense!!!!? Just asking!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot to all:)

    @Shreshta: I try to post 1 every week, so hopefullly would be posting 1 soon:) About Hyderabad's Traffic...hahaha...this one surely needs a true mention, but I guess one post won't suffice it, we have to pen a book:) But will surely give it a try some time. And thanks for reading my posts and giving feedback:)

    ReplyDelete